Thursday, July 9, 2009

Been a long week!

Sorry it has been a while since my last update! Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July! This will be a picture heavy post, with a video or two thrown in for good measure - I need to get everyone caught up!
We decided to take a trip down to Kemah and Galveston for the day for the 4th of July. It's only and hour or two drive to get there, and the only thing we bought was food, so it was a really CHEAP day-cation!
Our first stop was near Baytown and La Porte to see the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Monument. We only stayed a few minutes. This is the only picture worth posting; our camera really doesn't take the best pictures.


When we got to Kemah, the first place we went was to the little water fountain play area for the kids; it is kinda hard to miss it as it is right smack in the middle of everything else. Raia wanted to play...

She had the BEST time in the water, and screamed bloody murder when we had to leave! That was a sight, I'm sure LOL! Thank goodness I brought a change of clothes for her...

At lunch, she had her very own glass! She is such a big girl now :) The lemonade we ordered for her just would not do, and she insisted on the Diet Coke her Daddy and I were having...


So after lunch we left Kemah and headed to Galveston. Some strange sights along the way - namely this HUGE cross, standing taller than all of the many power stations all around it. I had to take a picture. It reminded me of the big cross that they stole in the show Weeds on Showtime...

Keep in mind, the cross is BEHIND the power station and power lines.

I'm not sure what this is, but it is pretty. I'm thinking it was a really old house that was made into a restaurant or a museum or something. We didn't stop, but we will next time.


Next, we passed the Flagship Hotel, which was damaged during Ike. I took a picture from the internet to show a before picture:

And here is after Ike:

Wow.

We finally made it down to the beach after driving around for about an hour or so looking for a spot to park. It was crowded!





I guess after living in Southern Alabama for so long, I am a spoiled beach brat. I love the powdery white sands of Panama City and Destin/Fort Walton, and the clear blue waters. Galveston was kind of a disappointment. I knew going in that it was going to be brown sand and dark water, but the sand was sticky, and it smelled...don't get me wrong, it's not like we will never go again, I'm just saying I must be spoiled, haha!

Raia had such a good time, she sacked out on the way home. Isn't she so cute?


Last, we headed home for the fireworks show that they hold in Town Center. We got there a little early, so, instead of sweating outside, we sat in the van and let Raia watch Elmo on Daddy's work computer. I don't know why we didn't think of this before!



Sorry, as I am sure you can tell by all my pictures, our camera is just NOT made to take pictures, so I didn't take any of the fireworks. They were beautiful, though. Raia enjoyed them last year, but this year was terrified of them. She did watch them, but only if she was holding tightly to Nathan or I.

Well, this post has taken most of the afternoon to upload, so I am going to skip the glad game today. Just know that I am glad for friends, family, air conditioner, and my beautiful, healthy little girl.
Thanks for checking in! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
xoxox~

No comments: